Friday, April 24, 2015

pull-out

Walked to Safeway this evening, and took a few photos of a common problem on the way.

I don't know if there is an official name for this, but I call cars that do this "pull-outs." The driver is doing something that is completely understandable - pulling-out a little so that he can get onto Fenton. I think drivers do this for a number of reasons. First, it lets everyone driving down Fenton know that you REALLY want to get out into traffic. Secondly, it allows you to see farther down Fenton, and better judge if you have time to dash-out. This is particularly important for drivers taking a left.

Consequently, pedestrians often come across cars pulled-out across the sidewalk completely. They are forced to walk behind the vehicle, and this increases the possibility of being hit by a car turning INTO the parking lot from Fenton ( also, likely in a hurry and watching on-coming traffic, not you).

It's a County lot and County right-of-way. I'm no engineer, but I know  the need for some engineering when I see it. This is a common problem a several location at County lots on Fenton. It's only going to get worse. Maybe all it takes is a sign. I don't know.


Click on the first image and use scroll.


































































































No comments:

Post a Comment